Friday, February 16, 2007

Artificial Intelligence

George Michael once sang the line “you look for your dreams in heaven, but what the hell are you supposed to do when they come true” and I am, starting to think he and I may be on the same page. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean we have a similar life, if only, I mean, my nights are spent indoors with friends having deep and meaningful’s; his are spent on Hampstead Heath knee deep in mud. He has amassed a fortune of millions eliminating the need of ever having to worry where his next meal is coming from, whilst I can get 5 meals out of a tin of beans and can stretch a fiver further than Tony Blair can stretch the truth. I simply mean that I get what he is talking about, and can relate it to my new job.

As I have said before I have always wanted to work for a charity, and got my chance late last year after being made redundant from my last job. I took a few months off to spend my redundancy money, and do the normal things that any man of the lavender persuasion does when he has got excess funds like, go see Madonna in Amsterdam, buy a new wardrobe and fill it with fabulous outfits, have a dirty little gay holiday in Gran Canaria and generally live like the other half.

Because of the money in the bank I was in a position to only apply for jobs that I wanted to, mainly within charities. However I still had to find work,and after a few months of looking I started to have this vision of me sitting behind a checkout at Tesco’s, the closest thing to charity work being me asking “are you collecting computers for schools vouchers Sir?”

Luckily it didn’t come to that, and I got my first full time job in charity*. Rather than being nervous about starting I couldn’t wait. The idea that I would be working for such a worthwhile cause really excited me, and I could only imagine what fantastic, hip cool and trendy people I would be working with. I imagined everyone sitting around feasting on mung beans, pulses and fresh air, washing it down with endless cups of chamomile tea. I pictured colleagues shouting at each other for not recycling their tea bags and going on protests where they would all tie themselves naked to trees and refuse to wash for days on end.

The reality of it all is very different. It is just an office job, like any other, the main difference being that most of the people that work here are clinically insane. It is a madhouse and I can’t shake the feeling that I am really working at some mental hospital, where everyone is convinced they work for a leading charity?

Firstly they suffer with BTBMS (back to back meeting syndrome). On my first day I had two and the other day I had four (one of them lasting for three hours in which NOTHING was achieved, except for, of course annoying the bejesus out of me). I really don’t want to sit around talking about what I have to do; I’d rather just do it. Call me crazy, but that is just the way I am. When I say I don’t have time for meetings it is frowned upon and they look at me like I have just turned up for work wearing a tutu and a Vivienne Westwood Basque.

And secondly is the language that is used. I don’t mean foul, or that we all sit around calling each other cunts all day. No, I mean the way they talk which all just sounds like a mass of consonants once they get going. My boss called me the other day and when I answered, she said “Oh bugger” and then hung up. By way of explanation she sent me the following email the next day

Dear Tequilla**

My scrambled phone call (John had disappeared for a few minutes but then he came back) was to let you know that it has now been decided that some members will not take part in our meeting!
Brain can’t compute exactly what that means but felt I should share this intelligence
Rgds


As soon as I read the email I was summoned into another meeting, with my boss, to discuss the aftermath of a conference we had recently successfully organised and brainstorm ideas of what we would do differently next time. During this meeting she decided to shorten her new favourite saying ‘share the intelligence’ when she went off on one of her long-winded tangents as follows:

“If I had a retrospectograph, giving me 20/20 hindsight, I would have shared the intel months ago'

The scariest thing is, having been here for a few months, the brainwashing is starting to work, because the above makes COMPLETE sense to me. So I looked for my dream job and this is what I got. How long before I am slipping these little sayings into my everyday life, resulting in my being sectioned and the key thrown away?

Maybe if I should just cut my losses and go back to publishing. At least class A drugs were readily available in that environment, and we did sit around calling each other cunts.

No, I have never been happier, and will continue to share the intel here, if you don't mind.

* I do other charity work, on a voluntary basis at weekends, where I stand for hours cooking meals for people with HIV & AIDS, which is the most fulfilling thing I think I have done in my life. I would urge anyone reading this to become involved in charity work, as volunteers really are the backbone of any organisation. Ok? Nuff said.


** She doesn't really call me Tequilla, she calls me.....

8 comments:

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

What the fuck was that all about. I'm begining to worry about you...

“If I had a retrospectograph, giving me 20/20 hindsight, I would have shared the intel months ago"

That is not even English T - if you understand that you're already too deep in - GET OUT. And you better not start speaking like that... or else!

Saying that I think I know what she is trying to say... and I'm not confortable with that either. I'm begining to wonder if 'I'm not psychic you fuckers' would have worked better than that mouthful. I know someone with a gun from when I lived in Stonebridge - I can get it for you - I think this woman needs a close-to-death-encounter to wake her up and speak properly.

Jobs are rarely what they appear to be.. if you're clever about it - they always end up sounding better on your CV than they really are. I had this crap job in 2004 that looks so amazing on my CV I laugh everytime I read it. And the crazy thing is I haven't lied at all.

I use to do some voluntary work at a recording studio (I must admit I'm not doing it now) but it was brilliant but it started at 8AM sunday and I just couldn't manage so I gave up a year and a half ago - though I did it for almost 16 years. It involved reading & recording newspapers in an audio format for blind (Visually Challenged if I'm being PC) people. I based my dissertation for uni on it.

T? What ever happened to the stalker? I was looking forward to that...

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Oh and I notice you've been coerced into the new blogger too.

It looks good.

Missing the dots?

Tequilla Mockingbird said...

Dearest A,

I know, it's crazy eh? And I am also starting to speak in acronyms too. I have no idea what the fuck I am doing, but have to say, I am loving the insanity of it all. Does that mean I have crossed over to the bad place?

Tell me of this person in Stonebridge, with a gun, and what are the chances of fucking him? Nothing like a close to death experience to get my libido going.

Jobs NEVER do what they say on the tin, but having said that, neither does my CV. If there were to store it in the library, it would most definately be under the Fiction section.

Charity work for a recording studio? that is WAY more glamourous that me in a soup kitchen. You have up Volunteered me!! How dare you! We are very good people, obviously.

Ah, the stalker situation, yes I was going to blog, but seeing as it transpires he actually reads my blog I will not stroke his overbearing ego any more by writing about him...... Having said that, if he does want to read, maybe I should give him something to read about....

Yes- I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the world of New Blogger. I have NO idea what the difference is, and to be honest, I just want my bloody dots back.

T x

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

T Stonebridge boys tend not to be the fuckable type unless you want a bullet up your arse instead of a cock. Still interested?

I don't think I've out-volunteered you - your work is personal, real, & grittily out there - mine was inpersonal, disconnected and didn't really involve getting my hands dirty. So I don't agree there. They are too different to compare but I still think yours wins hands-down.

LOL - Is this stalker Denim? It's almost suspicious - you invite him to dinner, you gain a stalker and he does read your blog after all! I wonder! I can't imagine I'd make a very good detective.... I'll probably get an innocent man convicted of something he didn't do.

Tequilla Mockingbird said...

A, Are you freaking kidding me??Stonebridge boys are sounding more desirable by the minute- hook me up immediately, if not sooner. I am of course joking. The only thing I want up my arse is Danny Dyer.

My charity work is far more interactive and hands on, but I see any volunteering work as equal, when it is for a good cause, as yours was. Enough with the knee jerk liberal reaction already! lol. We are boths marvels of our generation for giving up our time to those less fortunate. SO pat on the back. Well, for me, yours is probably still sore?!

Denim is too busy stalking Kevin Bacon to worry about me. Having said that, he is prone to stealing dvds and clothes whenever he comes over, and I have never been to his place, which could suggest that he has a shrine to me.

Dearest SSD- I think you have hit the nail on the head!

T xx

Tales of the City said...

Amusing blog... love it. especially the comments. I do some volunteer work for a charity that works with kids in inner city schools.

Tequilla Mockingbird said...

cutectguy- welcome my friend,

It seems there are many of us charitable folk out there. It does mean of course that I have to get down of my pedestal, because I was convinced I was the only volunteer in the world. Humph.

Thanks for checking out my blog- yours is very amusing!

TM xx

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Back is still sore I'm afraid... though in the words of Jules (another blogger - Vivid Intellect - she is such a sweetheart).... short term pain for long term gain.... she suggested I use that instead of NO PAIN NO GAIN (which I'm really getting sick of hearing and saying)

That poor cunt Denim - getting slandered behind his back.